careers at altius
Spacecraft Mechanism Product Development Lead
Altius is seeking a full-time senior-level engineer to lead a team in development, flight qualification, and flight demonstration
of spacecraft electromechanical and robotic systems. This position requires strong mechanical design, systems engineering,
and leadership skills, and a willingness to work hands-on with prototype and flight hardware. Altius is seeking candidates
who are passionate about space, highly self-directed and self-motivated, and who are interested in changing the world and
having a lot of fun doing so.
- Lead the development of a flight electromechanical system from prototype through flight demonstration and the transition to regular production.
- Customer interaction, systems engineering, requirements derivation and tracking, mechanical design and analysis, and
support of assembly and testing of spacecraft flight mechanical systems.
- Lead and mentor a team of engineers focused on flight hardware development, including recruitment, engineering management, and performance evaluations of direct reports.
- Coordinate with project management personnel on schedule and budget for the development effort.
- B.S. in a relevant engineering discipline or the equivalence.
- 10+ years of professional experience designing, manufacturing, developing, or testing mechanical, electromechanical, or robotic systems.
- U.S. Person (i.e. U.S. citizen, Green card holder, etc.).
- Experience with complex electromechanical mechanisms or space robotics systems, including design, prototyping, testing, and flight qualification.
- Strong desire to mentor team members, to enable product ownership and empowered decision making.
- Strong mechanical design background, including familiarity with materials, manufacturing processes, electromechanical
actuators, bearings, couplings, gears, feedback sensors, and mechanisms suitable for operation in space environments.
- Experience with cryogenic systems including materials selection, oxygen cleanliness, and cryogenic seals.
- Experience with liquid rocket propulsion and/or ground support equipment.
- Experience with systems engineering, including requirements derivation, tracking, and validation, failure modes and
effects analyses, and configuration control.
- Experience with flight qualification testing of mechanical systems.
- Proficiency with SolidWorks CAD modeling software and a working knowledge of technical drawing standards are both highly desirable.
- Experience at a nimble engineering organization or in a highly technical position to accomplish tasks with tight time or budget constraints.
- Experience with design for manufacturability, and establishing manufacturing processes with production personnel.
Job location: Altius Space Machines main facility in Broomfield, CO.
How to apply:
Send resumes along with a cover letter, and if possible a portfolio illustrating examples of flight hardware experience to email@example.com with “Spacecraft Mechanism Product Development Lead” in the subject line.